Monday, March 25, 2013

My Opinion on Review Embargoes

[LINK] Dan Whitehead on Embargos

Today in gaming: Dan Whitehead wrote an opinion piece about the pluses and minuses of review embargoes that I found on Games Industry.biz. In it, he talks about how game journalists know how to do their jobs and how absurd it is that companies have to dictate in writing which parts of the game should be announced to the public and which parts should remain out of their articles.

I disagree with him, though I thought the article was well written -- even if it's a little one-sided. I think it's important to specify which points are important to keep secret for those games journalists (and bloggers and whatever) who can't figure it out on their own and to limit access to those contacts who look to pad their viewership numbers by publishing spoilers.

No comments:

Post a Comment